LTRC Lacrosse Coaching Development Program
Purpose: LTRC Lacrosse is committed to investing in our coaching development program to continually improve quality of our player experience by promoting:
- Positive coaching and creating a rewarding and fun experience for players
- Teaching fundamental skills at all levels through our LTRC Lacrosse Curriculum
- Promoting age appropriate development of athleticism, individual skill development, team concept development and Lax IQ.
This page is designed to be the gateway for all coaching resources. We want our coaches to feel supported and empowered with the best coaching methods, resources and training opportunities. We have categorized these resources into the following areas:
- LTRC Coaches Manual & Curriculum- Our overarching guide to all coaching resources and a curriculum for all age groups in the program. Click HERE to download.
- In-House Coach Training- Our Coaches Bag Training- Required for all Coaches to get their equipment and coaching badge for the season.
- External Coach Training- primarily US Lacrosse Level 1 and 2 Certification as we strive to become an US Lacrosse Athlete Development Model (LADM) program along with webinars from US Lacrosse.
- Resources Section of the Website - our repository for coaching information.
All of these efforts are offered through the Coach Development Committee. If you would like to be part of this effort, please email Jeff Lange at email@example.com
Additionally in 2022, our coach development committee members will be visiting with our coaches during practices to observe and offer our assistance with access to resources needed. We will follow up the year with a survey to parents to mark our progress.
REQUIRED ITEMS TO COACH SPRING 2022
In order to coach this season all coaches must turn in the following paperwork in order to get your 2022 Coaching Badge (new for 2022):
1. Background Check - Balto. County Background Check required for all coaches. CLICK HERE for link to complete.
2. Coaches Code of Conduct - All coaches must sign and agree to our coaches code of conduct which can be found with the following link: Code of Conduct Link
3. Baltimore County Covid Waiver - All coaches must sign and turn in a copy of the Baltimore County Risk Waiver found at the following link: Baltimore County Covid Waiver
5. Attend Coaches Bag Training - These sessions will not only be an overview of LTRCs coaching philosophy, but will disseminate important information about our Covid plan, communication needs, and other important season information. They will be held online and in person starting in early February.
Steps one through four can be completed at any time and emailed to
USA Lacrosse (USAL) Partnership
LTRC continues its partnership with USA Lacrosse to create a detailed coaching development program and leverage their resources to teach our coaches. The cornerstone of the partnership will be that LTRC Lacrosse will reimburse coaches (up to a certain budget) for USA Lacrosse Coaching Membership ($55) upon completion of USAL Level 1 and 2 Certification. This will allow U.S. Lacrosse to significantly discount its onfield coaching certification programs.
Membership will provide coaches with:
- Access to USA Lacrosse certified coaching clinics
- Confidence to understand the game and utilize modern coaching approaches and techniques
- Online resources, including the mobile coach app, to provide drills, practice plans and a variety of resources to help them be a more successful coach and provide a better experience for their players.
Additionally, the Coaching Development Coordinator will work with USA Lacrosse and various local coaches, trainers and volunteers to offer additional coaching development opportunities including mandatory in-house coaching course for all head coaches.
LTRC will reimburse Coaches for their US Lacrosse Membership and USA Lacrosse Certification upon completion of all requirements (online and on-field) for Level 1 and 2 Certification. ALL REQUESTS FOR REIMBURSEMENT MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE REIMBURSEMENT REQUEST FORM FOUND HERE.
USA Lacrosse (USAL) Coach Certification Steps
1. Purchase a USA Lacrosse membership
For coaches 18 and older, membership includes complimentary enrollment into the Level 1 Coach Development Certification Program. Members will see this listed in their account online as “pending” until all requirements below are completed.
You may complete these components in any order. The recommended path is below.
2. Pass an NCSI background screening
The criminal background check is based on guidelines from the National Council for Youth Sports, the FBI PROTECT Act and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Please note: It takes 2-3 weeks for USA Lacrosse to receive the results of a background check investigation. Membership is pending until a green light background check is received.
3. Complete Online Courses
- Level 1 “Developing the Individual Athlete” Online Course (Non-game specific)
- PCA Double Goal Coach 1
- How to Make Proper Contact (men's game only)
- Online courses are available at myaccount.usalacrosse.com (click on e-learning from the toolbar on the left hand side).
Tour guides navigate through coaching fundamentals and methods of teaching the sport. Current USA Lacrosse members have free, unlimited access to the men’s and women’s game courses. This access does not expire as long as your membership is current. Coaches must take the course for the game in which they wish to certify. Coaches looking to certify in both games must take both courses.
4. Complete a live training
Live training is available virtually. CLICK HERE for the calendar of currently available workshops. If you previously took our hands-on developing the individual athlete instructional clinic, you do not also have to take the athlete centered coaching virtual workshop to certify.
When USA Lacrosse has all of your requirements on record, you will see your certification listed on your member card, available at My Account.
To maintain your certification, you simply need to:
- Keep your membership current by renewing each year.
- Renew your NCSI background screening every two years after the first screening. Not sure when to do this? Check your expiration date.